Thursday, January 28, 2016

25 January 2016 - NHFM

I taught 7 dances. Some familiar. Some not. Some from upcoming party programs, some not.
The class was light on dancers which severely impacted my choice of program.

The regular New Haven class meets on Tuersdays and, on the weeks when I teach my monthly Monday class, they are now canceling the Tuesday class since too many of the dancers are choosing not to dance 2 nights in row. There is something wrong with this picture.

I started this class because I lived in New Haven, danced and taught there for over 25 years, took over  a different class that met the same night and I was not happy having to choose one over the other. I therefore set up this once a month class so I could stay involved and in touch with my immediate 'family'.

I have some rethinking to do.
1. Not all the Tuesday dancers are able to attend my Monday class.
2. My numbers are light.
3. Everyone who is coming on Monday also danced on Tuesdays.
4. If Tuesday dancing is being canceled because of my Monday class...
5. Young Emma and her mom say Tuesdays is actually better for her
6. If changing my reservation to Tuesday is acceptable with the Friends Meeting then, other than the conflict with the Ho Ho Kus class who also dance on Tuesdays, switching my trip to New Haven to Tuesday seems to make sense.

What I taught:

Gloria's Wee Jig  –  (32 J 2)  –  McMurtry
Domino Five  –  (32 R 5some)  –  Haynes
On the Quarter-Deck  –  (32 H 2)  –  Boyd
A Moment for Marilynn  –  (32 S 2)  –  Glasspool
The Portland Mermaid  –  (32 S 3 set)  –  Price
Miss Eleanor  –  (32 S 3 set)  –  Bk 49
Blairmormond  –  (32 S 2)  –  Drewry

**********

Gloria's Wee Jig:- We have done it before and it still gets smiles and good reviews from the dancers.
                              The set up for the Ladies' Chain is nice and the end little chase is just plain sweet.

Domino Five:- A very simple five person dance from Derek Haynes. Tedious if done on a regular basis.

On the Quarter-Deck:- I have always liked this one. It is one of my top 50. It is simple, accessible, and it helps if you pick good music. And with hornpipes that is easy to do. They are all good, aren't they?

A Moment for Marilynn:- This one is pure dead brilliant and beautiful. A stunner! La Baratte is the only formation that requires practice and more practice. I find that this dance fully rewards all the work required to get it right. Top 50 for sure. It is in the database but without any data. I will correct this oversight shortly.

The Portland Mermaid:- I actually like it. (I know, I know, I wrote it. But just because I wrote it doesn't mean it is any good - but when the dancers are saying they like it there might be some truth to it). The real issue is that I have the dancers doing a couple of slightly unusual patterns and I have been struggling to find the best words to convey the movements. I am getting there - slowly.
Due to be published Real Soon Now.

Miss Eleanor:- YES! Another 3 couple bourrell! Finally! Two thumbs up. So far that is a total 4 good dances from the new book. That's so good I can't complain. I have tried four and all four were good dances. I mean, how many of us still teach any of the dances from Book 28?

Blairmormond:- A John Drewry dance. How bad could it be? That was rhetorical, obviously. It has the flow. Thumbs up. Just don't take the diagram or the cribs too seriously even though they are absolutely correct.

The class is advanced. They know what they are doing and they know what works. They did not dance the reel of four as it was written because it worked better slightly modified.
As written:
 "at the end, the men turn each other with the  left hand once round to finish back to back in the middle facing own partners.

The dancers found this awkward. The men found it easier to end offset while the ladies looped into place to face partner. This did not affect the set to and turn partner into circle four. At some point we become too rule bound for good dancing. It isn't a science it is an art. There has to be a place for common sense. The change made did not change the dance in any substantive way and in my opinion it flowed better. But in your class it is your call.

No comments: