Wednesday, June 28, 2017

8 May 2017 – Scotia

First Hour:-

The Loch Ness Monster  -  (32 R 1 Circle)  -  Boyd
Lady Wynd  -  (32 J 3)  -  Goldring
Lady Peak's Strathspey  -  (32 S 3)  -  Drewry

Second Hour:-

Say ye my wee thing  -  (32 J 2)  -  Bk 25
Gordon of Straloch  -  (32 S 3)  - Price
The Compleat Gardener  -  (32 J 3)  -  3rd Graded
Davy Nick Nack  -  (32 H 3)  -  Campbell

*  **  ***   ****    ** * **    ****   ***  ** *

Saw ye my wee thing:-  A simple mind free opening jig.

Gordon of Straloch:-  I wrote this while listening to the CD Waverley Station. Their set of strathspey airs had me entranced, especially the third and fourth tunes of the set. [Here] (Rorate Coeli/I Long for thy virginitie). The later is from the Gordon's Straloch lute book of 1627. [Rbt Gordon]

I was fascinated by this tune which is in a single phrase - all A no B part - and this dance came to me.

The Compleat Gardener:-  This dance will bite you if you rely on muscle memory.  The 2nd figure is a cross and cast movement that has 8 bars of music and about 9 bars of distance. Dancers want to stop on the sidelines in 2nd place. They need to get through the center to face their first corners. And not getting there can really screw up the Corners Pass & Turn.


No comments: