Thursday, October 26, 2017

28 May 2017 - Loch Leven

Memorial Day weekend - dancing just for the fun of it. No rehearsal!

A good number of dances because we could.

Dragonflies  -  (32 S 5 persons)  -  Jane Latialle
Uncle Isaac  -  (32 R 2)  -  John Drewry
Lang may your lum reek  -  (32 J 2)  -  Priddey
Prince of Sutton Coldfield  -  (32 R 3)  -  Downey
Surprising Hannah  -  (32 S 3 set)  -  Collin
Surprising Hannah  -  in QT
Gypsy Dreams  -  (32 S 2)  -  Glasspool
Fisherman Ginger's Reel  -  (32 R 3)  -  Collin
A Moment for Marilynn  -  (32 S 2)  - Glasspool
Stroangassel  -  (32 R 3)  -  Foss
Tempest in a Teacup  -  (64 R 3 set)  -  Glasspool

* ** *  **  *  **  *     *  **  *  **  * ** *

Dragonflies:- I love it. I have good music for it. Susie Petrov's 5x32 set of strathspeys from Hold the Lass till I get Her.  It fills the need when there aren't quite enough dancers for a three couple set. And it satisfies.
Dance: Dragonflies | SCDDB

Uncle Isaac:-  A reasonable and accessible dance from John Drewry.
Dance: Uncle Isaac | SCDDB

Lang may your lum reek:- A dance! You have to think; and move; and cover; and…  All of those things I love about Scottish dancing. Good enough that  Rod Downey took the main theme and improvised on it and wrote The Prince of Sutton Coldfield in Barry Priddey's honour.
Dance: Lang May Your Lum Reek | SCDDB
Dance: The Prince of Sutton Coldfield | SCDDB

Surprising Hannah:- A simple little dance… but not so simple if you actually *dance* it. I shortlisted it for the 2018 Kilts and Ghillies Tea Dance. As of this date (2017.10.26) it isn't going to make the cut but Born to Dance is looking very likely.

We then tried it out in quicktime and it works there too. A Medley???
Dance: Surprising Hannah | SCDDB

Gypsy Dreams:- One of my all time favorite dances. I love the box setting and I hate the revisionist name of GypsyPoussette. Poussette has nothing to do with the matter!… And it doesn't hurt that I LIKE tourneé.

For music Terry Glasspool recommends the version of The Birks of Invermay by Terpsichore. I agree. When asked what I do play for the dance Birks of Invermay if I am using this one for Gypsy Dreams I reply "a different one. I have several".
Dance: Gypsy Dreams | SCDDB

Fisherman Ginger's Reel:- I had to. I mean it - I HAD to!  Xiaowen (from Gaye's class) is dancing with us, and she, as well as many others here, love to play on the dance floor and since the play is written in…
Dance: Fisherman Ginger's Reel | SCDDB

A Moment for Marilynn:- Another one of Terry Glasspool's wonderful dances. This one has La Baratte and that is the most difficult part of the dance, and it is, all of it, lovely.
Dance: A Moment for Marilynn | SCDDB

Stroangassel:- OH MY! This one is a *three* thumbs up dance. It takes work but oh my goodness!!
Not for the faint hearted teacher. I would recommend a kite shaped back-to-back formation throughout and much practice.

I am passing strange as this dance is my kind of fun. The interactions are fugal and there are many of them for everyone.
Dance: Stroangassel | SCDDB

Tempest in a Teacup:- A Terry dance… again. It is liked, if not beloved, by several dancers here about. A good one that gets a thumb up but if I had to choose I would pick Terry's Chocolate Raspberry Swirl (40 S 3C) - it isn't as difficult and it too is satisfying. (Sorry no crib for it yet).
Dance: Tempest in a Teacup | SCDDB

No comments: