Thursday, November 30, 2017

15 August 2017 – New Haven

Back to my back log.

And again there are two agendas on the agenda  :-))

First the class was testing dances for the upcoming Book and secondly I was testing dances for the Kilts and Ghillies 2018 Tea Dance.

The dances of the day were:

Driving Through Eutaw  -  (32 J 3)  -  Leary (Ruby Anniversary)
Dance #105  -  (32 S 3)  -  unknown
Braes of Balquidder  -  (128 S 4 square)  - MacNab

The Spey in Spate  -  (32 R 3set)  - Haynes
Silver Thistle Ball  -  (32 S 3set)  -  Fogg&Turner
Florida Crackers  -  (32 R 3)  - Kohn

* **  ***    ** *  **   ***  ** *

Driving Through Eutaw:-  A very nice little dance with just enough of a twist that dancers need to put a lid on their muscle memory. I like it but I am also prejudiced in it's favor. Not a new dance to the blog so previous posts have the comments.

Braes of Balquhidder:- It is a dance, and it can be fun after a good bit of work is done. I rather like it but not enough to put it in myTop 50 list. I think that if a group liked it enough they could do it enough to put it in their standard repertoire. Maybe even put it on a ball program if enough dancers from away also knew it.

Not well enough known to make the Kilts and Ghillies Tea Dance short list. But if enough of us started teaching it now it might make the 2019 or 2020 shortlist. Guys???

The Spey in Spate:- This one has promise. It made it to the short list but the competition was fierce and didn't make the cut. Again maybe in a year or too (RSN?).

Silver Thistle Ball:- I like it. We had it on the K&G back in 2007 and we are past due to repeat it. I actually believe (MHO) that it dances easier than it reads. It made it. It is on the 2018 Tea Dance Program.

Florida Crackers:- Different. In my humble opinion that is good. I like petronella Double Triangles, I like variations on corners Pass & Turn. And it is available from Lulu the web publisher in either a print on demand paper version or, if you prefer, as a downloadable epub/pdf version.


No comments: