Tuesday, March 13, 2018

21 February 2018 - Westchester

Ball Prep - as always.

Upcoming event is the New Haven Highland Ball Weekend.

The dances I taught were:

Class:
It's Nae Bother  -  (32 J 2)  -  RSCDS 2nd Graded
Whigmaleeries  -  (32 R 3)  -  Imperial
Bob Campbell  -  (32 S 3)  -  Drewry
Muirland Willie  -  (32 J 3)  -  Bk 21/9

Socially:
Hooper's Jig  -  (32 J 3)  -  MMM
Delvine Side  -  (32 S 3)  -  Bk 2/9
Mairi's Wedding  -  (40 R 3)  -  Cosh

*†*    *†*    *†*  *  *†*  *  *†*  *  *†*    *†*    *†*

It's nae Bother:-  A Derek Haynes gem. Simple. Gets the blood and grey cells moving. Not too tedious to use on a semi regular basis. That means a thumbs up.

Whigmaleeries:- The flow for third couple is fabulous! For 2nd couple not so great since it is wait, dance, wait, dance. Very well received. Worth a look.

Bob Campbell:- It is an all right dance but not a top 50 dance. The flow is good, it is by John Drewry after all, it is just that I find it moderately tedious. It held my attention the first time I danced it, after that it just didn't sustain my interest. That doesn't mean it is inappropriate for a ball or brunch program but it wouldn't make it onto my short list of choice dances. It might get consideration if I am having trouble and working through my fifth or sixth iteration of a program.

Muirland Willie:-  (On the Kilts & Ghillies Tea Dance program). I did this dance a fair bit years ago - early on in my dance career. It is demanding both physically (mostly) and mentally. Not surprisingly it has fallen by the way side. But boy did it get a positive response from the dancers who had never seen it before. The music is great, the energy is great, and it fully engages the mind. In my humble opinion it is due for a return engagement in the standard repertoire.

No comments: